Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 14: Denise Hartnett

June 14th

Oh God, you know my folly; the wrongs I have done are not hidden from you, (Psalm 69:5)

David seemed to have a way of getting himself into trouble. In Chronicles19-21 we see King David constantly at war, ravaging the land and making the people who lived in those lands his slaves. Then Satan enters into the picture causing David to take a census of the Israelites. I believe, but I am not sure on this, this census was taken to see how many men were left to fight. Whatever the reason God was not pleased with David when he took the census and he punished the Israel people. God sent a plague and 70,000 Israelites died and even Jerusalem was going to be destroyed. David finally goes to God pleading on behalf of the Israelites. He finally takes responsibility for his sin and God spares Jerusalem. David’s story is somewhat my story; it made me realize how my sin can affect others. In our reading today we have a King who is to govern and take care of the people of God but the outcome is sad. In his actions he brings death to those he is to watch over and govern. My sin also affects others what I do and say every day has outcomes.

“Do not let those who hope in you be put to shame because of me, O Lord God of host; do not let those who seek you be dishonored because of me O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)

To know God and walk with God daily, to know his will and his ways is not always easy. No matter how hard I try to know and walk with God I fall short and sin. But like David when I go to God with a repentant and right heart He hears me. With each day I live I strive to be the witness that honors God, knowing that I will always fall short. I praise and thank God that his love is so great, that he sent his Son. In Christ my sins are forgiven. Amen

1 comment:

  1. That's what I love about David - when he was wrong, he didn't make excuses to God. He repented with his whole heart.

    ReplyDelete