Friday, August 13, 2010

August 13th response

Proverbs 11&12, Colossians 3
I used to think of Proverbs as a list of fortune cookie one-liners. It was a place I could go to find tag lines that I often didn't understand. As I have grown older, the advice and lessons found in these two chapters have come to life.
I would like to think that most people question their purpose on this earth at some point in their lives. That is why simply opening my bible this morning was so powerful. I always find hope and comfort in the Word. There are two main paths to choose from in these scriptures and in this life: the path of righteousness and the path of wickedness. Any person who has accepted Christ into his or her heart has felt the call to live a righteous life. Jesus said "Be holy because I am holy" (1Peter 1:16). It doesn't get much clearer than that. We have knowledge of God's love, Jesus' sacrifice and the presence of the Holy Spirit with us. Because of this knowledge, we must live differently. Clothe yourself in humility. We cannot succeed if we try to do it alone, and we aren't supposed to. To call on God and others for help and strength is a blessing. Another lesson that jumped out at me was to speak and work with intention. My grandfather instilled in me as a young man a value that is echoed in Col. 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord." Remember this scripture as you move through your day and see if you don't end with a smile on your face.
Lastly, when interacting with others, remember the simple truth that we are all going to the same place. This has helped me embrace every interaction with people I meet. I think to myself, "I will see this face again one day". We are all in this together. Pray today that God will help us love each other well. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment