Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Where is Wisdom?

Prov 7 & 8
Col 2


Rules have a good place in our lives. I grew up in a house that had rules. Be home by 10pm. No snacking before dinner. Make your bed. No talking on the phone late at night. Do your homework before you play.

I can remember the time in my life when I began the role of setting rules for myself. Rules can easily be the things by which we define ourselves. They are also the means by which we define ourselves as "free". And that can get confusing. It's not that rules are bad; they give us healthy boundaries in which to roam. But rules can't be the end.

"And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness" (Col 2.6-7, NLT).

Paul was writing to a church who was defining themselves by religious rules, trying to make their rules their faith. We who are Christ followers live by his new life, not by our old set of rules. We can't make a new life by following old rules. The only way we make a new life is to "follow him," to "let [our] roots grow down into him, and let [our] lives be built on him."

Paul's warning in verses 8-10 can only be combated by one thing: wisdom. Leaving the old set of rules behind leaves a void that can only be filled by God's wisdom. It is a valuable thing talked about many places in the Bible. Proverbs is just one of those places.

"I, Wisdom, live together with good judgment.
      I know where to discover knowledge and discernment" (Prov 8.12, NLT)

Prov 7 gives us a clear picture of living life without wisdom. And if adultery is just a form of idolatry, then we can all substitute anything we idolize for the immoral woman in Prov 7. Without wisdom the things we idolize certainly do seduce us, pierce our hearts, cost us many things, even our own lives. Without wisdom we have no ability to leave our set of rules behind and accept our new life in Christ. Or, if we try, we find that we are constantly forcing Christ's new life to live by our set of old rules.

Conquering our evil selves is only possible through living each day, each moment at the side of our Savior. This is Paul's reassurance to us in Col 2.20: "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world?" Christ has offered us new life, so we must  live it!

Prayer: Creator God, you have offered me new life through the sacrifice of your only Son. Help me to live out that new life with courage and wisdom, knowing that your Holy Spirit is always available to guide my steps. Amen.

--
Julie Duncan
Mountain T.O.P.
Program Manager - Ministry Logistics
931.692.3999
www.mountain-top.org

Mountain T.O.P. is an Interdenominational Christian Mission, affiliated with the Tennessee Conference of the United Methodist Church, dedicated to rural life ministry in the Cumberland Mountains of Tennessee.
----


2 comments:

  1. Re: idolatry, in my church we recently concluded the Gospel in Life video series by Tim Keller. He made the statement that all sin is, ultimately, idolatry. I've been thinking about that ever since. Anything I put in the place of God - any warped value I have, anything I prioritize above following God, is idolatry. Something to keep thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, adultery=idolatry began with a seminary prof. Opened my eyes. In this sense, I can relate so much better to more of the biblical text . For instance, when I read Hosea I can identify with Gomer. I see God's relentless pursuit of me, the way he takes me back time and time again.

    ReplyDelete