Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cry with Moses

Proverbs 9, 10
Psalm 90


Psalm 90 is a prayer of Moses, a Man of God.  Moses writes in verse 1 & 2, "Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations.  Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world from everlasting to everlasting you are God". 

What is a dwelling place?  It's a place where we live.  A place where our heart resides.  I think of my dwelling place as the place where I am loved, supported, safe, comforted, stretched, challenged.  It's the place I can be myself.  My dwelling place brings out the best that is in me, it's the place I can be vulnerable.  Sometimes I've wondered where my dwelling place will be for the night.  When I moved from Oklahoma to Tennessee in 2007 I didn't know where I was going to live for the first 2 weeks.  I was buying a house but couldn't close on it for another 2 weeks.  I had all of my belonging in a Budget moving truck driving into town still not knowing where or if I was going to be able to move into my house 2 weeks early.  I kept praying for God to show me where to go, I had faith that my dwelling place would be shown to me.  Moses is calling God our dwelling place.  Acts 17:28 says "For in him we live and move and have our being".  God exists as a home for his people.  God is our dwelling place. 

God is also the God of creation.  Moses said "before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world."  Before all this, God was!  God was before any mountain was formed. He was before any thought of land and sea.  God was!!!  I don't know about you but I love nature.  I love everything about it, all the extremes.  I love watching a trickling creek or the ocean waves crashing on rocks.  I love watching the fall leaves drift to the ground. Watching the snow drift along the road or seeing animal prints in the fresh snow in the forest, it all amazes me.  God was before all of the nature that amazes me.  God was!!!

"from everlasting to everlasting you are God".  Before the beginning and after the ending - you are God.  I love how the Message translation says "From 'once upon a time' to 'kingdom come' - you are God." 

He is the God of history.  He is the God of creation.  But beyond all that, He is the God of eternity.  He is above and beyond His creation.  God is our dwelling place.  God has been a dwelling place throughout all generations.  Since before time began, God was! 

Moses understood the facts about God.  When I think about that I can't help but cry with him, "Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations."

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment